Focal point of cultural dissemination in the Middle Ages
This ancient Dominican convent was built between the 13th and 14th centuries at the behest of King Jaume II, when Xàtiva was the second most important city in the Kingdom of Valencia. In mediaeval times, the convent made a major contribution to the spread of culture. Its halls include an enormous Cistercian refectory and a slender chapterhouse. Following the confiscation of church property in 1837, the building underwent numerous changes of fortune and gradually fell into ruin, until only the church remained.
In municipal hands since 1982, it has been declared a Cultural Heritage Site. Of Gothic origin, the convent church has been restored. It has a single nave, with six pointed diaphragm arches. The chapterhouse and the south wing of the cloister have been reconstructed as they were when they formed part of the convent, and are open to visitors.